Thursday, June 28, 2007

Life is Good

I am sitting here updating my blog, nothing really on my mind, but since I didn't post anything last night I might as well get a couple of things off my chest. First I would just like to say something I know is on every one's mind here in the DFW area... I wish that this damn rain would stop! I know it sounds kind of crazy to be saying that in Texas, but... It has been raining constantly here for about a month and a half. I know, I know, when July, August, and September come around I will be writing about the heat. But I got to talk about something haven't I? And I am getting tired of my family back east calling me asking about the floods that the beloved media keeps broadcasting 24 hours a day. It has flooded out here, and a lot of good people have lost their homes. My heart goes out to them. But I am still dry, my house hasn't floated down the neighborhood creek, and my wife has even found a dry path to make it to her friendly neighborhood "hair fixer", so all in all life is good.

I am very blessed. I have a good woman that puts up with my attitude and my macho ism. I have a decent job. I live in a good neighborhood. And on top of all that my family back east loves me enough to call me to find out if I have sprouted gills out here yet. But that is just my life. There are others that are not living like me. Who, you may ask? Well on my normal commute to work this morning, (yes, I live in the suburbs thank you very much!), I was channel surfing the radio and I happened to tune into Rickey Smileys radio show. I usually catch bits and pieces of his show every morning, and this morning he was talking about how the city of Dallas was in the process of taking some elderly people's homes to make way for a toll-road that is in the plans to be built. Now this toll-road is projected to go through the southern sector of the city, which if you know anything about Dallas, is the "black" section, the "hood" or in other terms, the "ghetto". In other words, a part of the city most non black residents of the city could care less about. Getting back to my point... The city did not ask these people for their land, they are taking their land, in what is known out here as imminent domain. That is, if the city in which you reside deems that taking your property is in the best interest of the city, you as a taxpaying citizen of that city have no say so in whether you leave or go. I do not know much about this, I have to do some research, but I don't even think they give you what your property is worth. You get pennies on the dollar for your property. Now what are these people that are being put out of their homes, their neighborhood, and their communities going to do? Most of them are elderly, black and on some kind of government assistance.

Now as I said earlier, my heart truly goes out to the people that have lost their homes over the past couple of weeks. My best friends on the local news channels have made it a point to bring their story of heartbreak and loss to everyone with a T.V. But what about these poor people that are losing their homes in South Dallas? Is this not a tragic event also? And to make things worse, this is a man-made problem that can be avoided at all costs. Why has this not made it to the attention of the media? I will give you three quesses... Well, all you really need is one. SOUTH DALLAS! If this was happening in Highland Park (an affluent section of Dallas..in other words, all white), Fox (or as my man the field negro calls them) Faux News would probably send Bill O'Rielly down here personally to the land of Bush to do an all out interview with the poor and disfranchised upper middle class people of Highland Park. Rickey Smiley was asking people to come out and sign a petition to take this to a vote. He needed 50,000 signatures by 12 noon on June 29. I really hope that we get those signatures. I could not sign the petition because I do not live in the city of Dallas. I live in Dallas County, but not the actual city. You had to be a registered voter in the city of Dallas to sign the petition. If they would have let me sign, I would have wrote my name 50,000 times!

We as a community need to support our elderly generation. They are our connection to the past. Through them we can build a better future. We cannot let this happen to our "big mommas" and our "paw paws". The title of this post is "Life is Good", but how good can it be if we don't preserve our ties to the past, and stand by and let this happen to our elderly kin folk? What would that say about my generation? Now that is a question that makes you go hmmm.

Or at least it should.

1 comment:

melblue said...

Hey, I loved what you said about taking better care of our elderly community and them being our connection to the past.....