Wednesday, July 25, 2007

At last.. a brother who gets it!




This morning while I was channel surfing the radio during my 40 minute commute to work, I came across an interview with Knicks guard Stephon Marbury. He was talking about his clothing line and his new sneakers. Any other time I would have continued surfing, but I stopped to listen to the brother. It seems that Mr. Marbury is selling his clothes and shoes for.... (drum-roll please) a measly $14.98! That is both clothes and shoes!
Now what is the catch you may ask? According to Mr. Marbury there is none! He is simply trying to give back to the thousands of kids around the world that idolize him. Now who would have thought that a multimillionaire NBA superstar would give a damn about the people who support him and fill Madison Square Garden to see him. Who would have thought that in this day and age, with all the TALK about "keeping it real", and "Bling-Bling", and "I gotta get mine" attitudes that there are actually black men that really do care about where they come from and realize the pain and suffering the average person goes through on a daily basis. I am sure that Mr. Marbury could have pulled a Jordan, or Iverson, or Kobe and sold his apparel for 10 times what he is selling it for. But he is not.
Mr. Marbury realizes that the average parent cannot afford the $150 sneakers, $200 outfits, or the $35 sweatbands that are in every Footlocker in every mall across the country. Mr Marbury realizes that too many of our youth are getting robbed and sometimes killed for the same above mentioned items. Mr. Marbury has not forgotten the hand-me-downs that probably got passed down to him during his youth. If I can say so myself this is the ultimate example of "keeping it real".
I applaud Mr. Marbury. I wish more of these sports stars and actors would realize that most of the people that support them do not drive Mabachs. They do not live in the Hamptons. They do not have a house where they live in the summer, and another one they live in during the winter. The people that support them work 9 to 5 in a blue collar job. A lot of the people are single parents that can barely afford day-care. The very idea of spending $150 for a pair of shoes that your kid will grow out of in 6 months makes my stomach turn. So keep up the good work Mr. Marbury, and I hope your good deeds catch on to some of your fellow multimillionaire superstars.
Well... I guess I can dream can't I?

1 comment:

Saymorre said...

Thank you so very much for sharing this. I am always so proud to find out about people that think about others - the "others" that have assisted in making them popular, rich, successful, what have you.