Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The good ole days....Where have they gone?


There is a station called The Rhyme on XM radio that only plays Old School Hip Hop. I love this station because it makes me think about my youth. It amazes me how good a mood this music puts me in. I am a Hip Hop Junkie. I love it.
Let me correct myself.... I love the music I grew up listening to. The garbage that is getting passed off as Hip Hop today I cannot stand. But the music from the late 80's to the late 90's is the shit to me.
Like today for example...
I was listening to The Rhyme on my daily 40 minute commute home from work when LL Cool J's classic song "Radio" started blasting through my speakers. If you are a real Hip Hop head you know what I am talking about. "My radio believe me I like it loud. I'm the man with the box that can rock the crowd. Walking down the street to the hard core beat, while my JVC vibrates the concrete." LL was way ahead of his time.
I was actually transported back to 1986. My head started nodding, and my hand reached for the volume and I blasted it . Even though it was 90 degrees today, I rolled down my windows and was rapping the lyrics like we used to do when I was 16.
Damn that music brings back memories!!
I had no worries then. No bills, no mortgage, no car note(s), nothing. The only thing I really had to worry about was making sure that if I was not in the house, I was at least back on our stoop before the street lights came on.
Of course I had the shell toed Addidas (no shoestrings) with the matching jump suit, the Kango and the fake gold rope. All courtesy of my Moms. Of course I didn't think about it then, but I wish I could go to my Moms now when I need a new pair of shoes or the latest outfit.
Now my routine is getting up at asscrack thirty so I can fight traffic and be at my desk before the sun comes up. Then I have to deal with people that if it were not for the fact that my mortgage is due the beginning of every month, I would tell to go to hell. Then when the sun is beginning to set, I get back in my truck, fight some more traffic, get to my nice suburban hideaway, and try to prepare myself to get up at asscrack thirty the next day, so I can do it all again.
Sigh.....
Damn I miss the good ole days!!
Well maybe tomorrow, The Rhyme will play some classic Big Daddy Kane.

3 comments:

nikki said...

i don't have xm, but you make me wish i did. instead i'm stuck with my ipod, but i get to listen to 'the symphony' and 'road to the riches' whenever i want to, so it's a decent trade off.

maybe you could write an entry of where you were and what you were doing and how you felt when you first heard 'radio'. it's that kind of experience that, once shared, might compel a musician out there to go back to the roots of music and we can get the crap offa the radio.

brightstarr said...

Good post, I was just asking myself the same thing when they played an old school mix at lunch on the radio. Ahhhhh, how I miss them...

Anonymous said...

YO,you should blog on how we as people,went from public enemy to gin & juice.we as a people are sometimes our own worst enemy.