Friday, November 23, 2007

The Gift That Keeps on Giving




Thanksgiving was yesterday. My wife and I stayed home and enjoyed a quiet evening together. We didn't have anyone over for the spectacular meal my wife prepared because all of our family is back on the East coast. We were just on the East Coast last week so I could bury my father who passed 2 and half weeks ago from complications from Diabetes. (Black men we have to take better care of ourselves!!!! My father was only 57 years young!!!) Anyway I really didn't feel like company, so I am kind relieved that my family is so far away. I told myself that I was not going to write about my fathers death, (Hence the two previous posts)... but thinking about this Holiday, I just couldn't help it.
I have never been one to go crazy over the Holidays, because I grew up in a home where Holidays were just another day. My mom is a devout Jehovah's Witness. My wife loves the holidays though, so I have had to adopt a new understanding of them. I kind of like Thanksgiving. If I were to have a favorite holiday, then Thanksgiving would be it. I really appreciate the fact that friends and family get together just to celebrate the good things in their life. Giving thanks for health, prosperity and family is a very good thing. Even though I know that the Indians (Native Americans) that were displaced and killed during the time this holiday was thought up, probably hate Thanksgiving, but that is a rant for another time.
However....
My problem with Amerikkkan holidays is this. People will go through the whole year f--king people over, abusing their loved ones, hurting and abusing children and elderly people, lying, cheating, stealing and every other foul and vile thing that you could do to a person and all of a sudden for 2 days out of the year,(Christmas and Thanksgiving) they think that all they have to do is give some homeless person a dollar or volunteer at some shelter for a day and all their past transgressions and sins are forgiving. Then the very next day they go back to f--king people over again.That is so fake to me. That is the main reason I hate this time of year. If you are going to be an asshole 363 days a year, I don't see how skipping 2 days to "be good" to your fellow man is going to cancel your reservation for that room in hell with the spectacular views of a fiery lake.
But this is just my views.
There are some people that know that doing good for 2 days out of the year is not going to be quite enough to save you. Two Men I would like to spotlight are Atlanta Falcons Running Back Warrick Dunn and Detroit Pistons Forward Teshawn Prince. These two Black MEN are helping people 365 days a year.
The Warrick Dunn Foundation builds houses for single mothers. The foundation helps the single Moms with financing the homes and they come fully furnished. So far The Warrick Dunn Foundation has helped 69 single mothers and 181 children. (News like this about how some Black men are actually helping their community usually gets overshadowed by news of Britney Spears getting out of a rehab somewhere.)
Teshawn Prince has rebuilt a luxury suite in The Palace of Auburn Hills for children suffering with cancer. This suite was rebuilt with his own money. It gives 16 children and their families a chance to sit on the floor during every home game the Pistons play and watch the team practice before the game. It also allows them to meet the players and the team officials. During the game the kids will watch in the refurbished suite that has a Nintendo WII and the meals are catered especially for the kids. 16 new kids get to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience every Detroit Pistons home game. Mr. Prince picks up the entire tab.
This is the kind of thing that is starting to change my mind about Thanksgiving. I am thankful that there are some Men in our community that are trying to make a difference. I am thankful to have proof that the Devil is a liar, and not everything in my community is bad. I am thankful that I am healthy enough and have the opportunities and self motivation to improve my current situation so that I can someday emulate these 2 brothers example. I am Thankful that I have the support and love of my wife, my family and her family. (God bless my father's soul). I am thankful that I am smart and strong enough to get past the bullshit that threatens to take my sanity everyday. And last but not least I am thankful to be alive. Life is a very precious thing and it should not be taken for granted. The average life span these days for a young black man in AmeriKKKA is 25 years old. 25!!! I have surpassed that age by a decade and I am hoping for about 5 or 6 more. My fathers death at such a young age has hit me hard. But what can I say, he did live a good life.
So this post is dedicated to my Pops, Charles Wesley King. January 26, 1951 to November 8 2007.
You will not be forgotten Big Poppa!!!!
Believe that!!!

7 comments:

Lucy said...

My problem with Amerikkkan holidays is this. People will go through the whole year f--king people over, abusing their loved ones, hurting and abusing children and elderly people, lying, cheating, stealing and every other foul and vile thing that you could do to a person and... Then the very next day they go back to f--king people over again.That is so fake to me.

I think this addresses the obvious hypocrisy in US history. But rather than get upset in a blog post, the next question to ask what are YOU doing to about it? How are YOU going to set the better example, so that it no longer becomes about the inherent hypocrisy in the holiday.

I do this with my comedy. I TEACH through my comedy and I plan on setting examples and becoming a role model to my brethren.

Ann Brock said...

I stumble upon your blog and it is good reading. I feel you on that post. We do treat people like nothing but come Nov and Dec we want to do good. What kind of mess is that.

brightstarr said...

Awesome post, I'm sure your father is definitely proud of the man you've grown into. It's very tough to lose a relative around the holidays. I lost my mother a few years back in November as well. But it really does get better. Be grateful you have such a wonderful wife and family who are so supportive of you this holiday season.

Jazzylady said...

Don't worry dirty red, I've felt this way about Thanksgiving since I was a little girl, and that's a whole lot of years ago. During the movement I just felt that my country, the one that stole me from Africa, hated me so hard, and, as you say, slaughtered the Native Americans, what did I have to be thankful for? It still isn't a holiday I celebrate anymore, really, we had a wonderful chicken, but I did write a poem about being grateful for being brown, lol. As for your dad, I am truly sorry to learn of his passing, especially at so young an age. My own dad was just 37 when he passed, and it had a profound affect on the rest of my life, even to this day. When one of our strong parents passes it will affect us like that. And just look, he's still affecting you life, and in such a positive way! On the other hand, there are those of us who try to cram our "goodness" into those two days, and I don't know which is worse, Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I'm sure God will sort those fools out.

Dirty Red said...

Mrs. Jazzy, Brightstar,
Thanks alot for your condolences. It means a lot.

Lucy,
I think I said that my "little" contributions are just that, little, but I am making an effort. Good luck with your comedy. We all must do what we must, but if your comedy is as dry as your response to my post, don't quit your day job.

David Sullivan said...

Great post! (although I can't get past the fact that Warrick did that ESPN comercial holding that cat). I also liked your comments over at Field's place.

Anonymous said...

Hey DR good post, sorry to hear about your dad. I decided a few years ago that instead of making the american economy more rich by purchasing gifts for my kids and loved ones that we would get more involved in the community. This serves as a dual purpose, it allows us to be a much needed help to the community while also teaching my children and myself humility and not to take things for granted.

We all should be thankful everyday, with every breath not just on Thanksgiving, because every time you are able to inhale and exhale again you have been blessed...

When you think about that it puts in all in perspective...at least it does for me. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, yet we act like we wake up every morning by our own power. We should live each day like its our last and have no regrets...


One love,