Sunday, February 17, 2008

Who's Bad?




Last night Wifey and I went to the movies to see Samuel Jackson's new flick Jumper. This was a pretty good movie. I think it was one of the better movies Sam has made in a while.
Don't act like I am the only one that sometimes wishes that Sam would just shut the hell up and sit down sometimes.Sam has been known to make some straight garbage. Besides he makes so many movies a year a brother kind of gets "Sam Weary". I mean it's like Sam is the only guy in Hollywood at times. How many movies do you think he has made in the last 5 years?


Anyway.....


On the way home Wifey and I started talking about music. Of course the two music Icons, Prince and Michael Jackson came up. The question we debated was.....
Who has a better catalog of music... The Purple Wonder or The Gloved one?
Well... I said Prince.
She said MJ.
I procedded to rattle off some of Prince's timeless master-pieces like, When Doves Cry, Purple Rain, 1999, Adore, Diamonds and Pearls, Do me Baby, Kiss, Scandelous....I could go on and on and on. Prince is the man. Sometimes I think he is a bit fruity, but no one can get a woman in the mood to get freaky like Prince.
Well she started to call off some of MJ'S music. The Girl is Mine, Thriller, Billie Jean, Remember the Time, and so on and so forth.
Well in my opinion, Prince and MJ are not in the same catagory.
They are not from the same planet.
Prince is more of a freak. He makes music to love to. Michael Jackson makes music to dance to. One belongs in the Pop Catagory (MJ), the other is in a catagory all of his own, (Prince).
To me (and this is MY opinion) there is no comparison.
Both of these two gentlemen are music genius's . Both of them have had careers not too many people in the music business could dream of having. Both of them have millions of fans the world over.
So, who's bad...
Prince or Michael Jackson?
I say Prince.
What say you?

16 comments:

Los Angelista said...

Prince!

I love MJ, but Prince has a more extensive catalog and has produced more artists.

jjbrock said...

I will have to go with Prince and all of his crazness. I love the glove one too but prince is the man.

ZACK said...

I say neither. I'm sorry! But if you made me choose....I'd say MJ before the operations. So that's probably before 1978.

Truth said...

I have to go with Prince. He was a true musician, I never saw MJ play an instrument.

daddio911 said...

I'd have to go with Prince. Except for maybe "Remember The Time", MJ is pretty much nothing more than bubble gum pop. Anyone that can come up with and actually get airtime for a song like "Little Nicky" rules in my book.

brran1 said...

Do we have to pick? I'd have to say Prince because he pushed the envelope and he wasn't afraid to be placed in his own category.

Jazzylady said...

Prince! Lol. He has the better understanding and all around grasp of music, and is a towering talent. Michael is just as great, but not so well rounded. Happy anniversary Mike. This is the the 25th anniversary of the Thriller, the landmark song and video.

hawa said...

Umm. Prince.

MJ's dance music is hot... but also dated. If somebody breaks out in dance to an MJ song, best believe the dance will be old.

BUT... There's nothing dated about making love to Prince's music. While the moon walk is old, that little tingle down the spine from Prince's music is fresh err'ry day. hehe

Kriss said...

Prince did last year's superbowl performance in high heels on a wet stage and didn't even slip once. I have to give him props on that one.

Aquilar said...

prince, he has never released a wack song, MJ's invincible was terrible

AQUILOGY said...

prince, he has never released a wack song, MJ's invincible was terrible

Eb the Celeb said...

Tough one... really tough one... I think MJ diminished because of all the scandals... and yet I am still leaning towards him... as far as the past. But if you look towards the present and the future... I would definitely say prince, he has been able to do things musically in the last couple years in the industry that no one has. That's why he never signs more than a 1 album deal with a label. He has been able to give away free music and still go platinum... and in this digital world that says alot. Also, I feel his future in the industry is a lot more brighter than MJ's... not so sure he can still make a platinum selling record. At least not in the states anyway.

rikyrah said...

I think time has shown that the Purple One is indeed the victor. I never would have believed that 10 years ago.

brightstarr said...

MJ all day, but I do agree that Prince is a musical GENIUS. Most definitely. MJ is an entertainer though - for some reason if I had to choose a concert to attend, gotta go with MJ. If I had to choose a CD to buy - PRINCE.

M.Kam said...

MJ...

If you played Beat It or Thriller at a club, best believe people will break out the moves..beat for beat.

But I agree, they're in 2 diff categories -- I love me some Prince too...but I like to dance :-)

chocolate_matters said...

I was just a youngun just as these two were blowing up. My older sister was into prince and I for some reason was into MJ. I must say though I came to later come over to the "other" side and found that prince was truly a talented (if somewhat eccentric but so is MJ) brother. Plus he is still making hits today unlike his counterpart. Someone told me recently that back in the 80s there were two camps, one for MJ and one for prince, and both were deeply devoted to either singer. MJ will always have the classic joints (I have a few on my iTunes playlist) but I think prince has shown he can still be relevant today as he was yesterday. Just my two cents.