Sunday, March 30, 2008

What box would I fit in?


This is a question I asked my man Truth over at Enclave-lion.blogspot.com. He wrote a very good post about the way black men are portrayed here in this great country of ours.

So what kind of box would I fit in?

I am a Dark-skinned, mid 30's Brother that stands 6'2". I weigh about 224 lbs, and I am slightly muscular. I keep what my Caribbean couisins call "mi shine head", (bald for you folks that are not familiar with Caribbean speech) and my face is clean shaven.

When I am at work I wear either Polo shirts or nice button ups with nice slacks, but I prefer baggy jeans and vintage T-shirts. I prefer Tims over dress shoes, but I am starting to admit to myself that I am getting a little too old for that. But I must admit I do clean up pretty good, when I do choose to "get cute".

I have a college degree,which I am not utilizing at the moment, but SALLIE MAE still wants their money every damn month. Ain't that about nothing?

I own a 4 bedroom house in a Dallas Suburb. I drive a late model Truck that is killing me on gas every week (Blame it on living in Texas. I never liked Trucks until I moved out here. But they grew on me).

I listen to Hip-Hop although I don't condone most of the bullshit that is being force fed to our youth now-a-days. I curse a little.(a lot. blame my days in the Army. If you were not cursing, you were not talking. It is a habit I have been trying to break for years).

I am not loud, I don't like attention all that much, but I always seem to be the center of it. I prefer to stand in a corner and watch the people around me. You can a learn a lot by watching people.(The loudest person in a room is usually the first one to run if some shit pops off).

I don't run with an entourage. If you happen to see me in the streets of the Big D,I am usually solo. I believe that the more people that know what you do, the more people can talk about what you do. Besides,if I choose to do something that I know ain't right, I don't have to worry about snitches. I ain't gonna tell on myself.
No witnesses. (God knows what I did when I did it. He is the only one that matters).
Real G's move in silence.

I consider myself a natural born leader. I do not take orders all that well, that is the main reason I got out of the military. However,I have no problem listening to a person I respect. Besides, I believe that you have to learn how to follow before you can be expected to lead.

I speak what's on my mind, but I do know when to speak and when to keep my mouth shut.

So after reading my description of myself, what kind of box would I fit in?

11 comments:

daddio911 said...

A gosh darn democrat.....that's what box u fit in.....a gosh darn democrat...

ZACK said...

No box at all. That's one of the great things about life. God wants us to fit in his box. His box is one where everything is separate but equal- but not like Jim Crow.

God wants everybody to just be themselves. That's why we should run the race set before us with patience, looking ever to Jesus who is the author and the finisher of our fate.

I'm a 5'9, 23 year old, light-skinned, barely muscular, grad student with six-figure debt, and lots of insecurities. But I'm a man who is finding out who he is by learning who he is not. I am learning that God made me different on purpose and not by accident. The problem is, I don't want to be different. But that's my flesh making me resist the will of God.

You are a man whose opinions are worth reading, and I like this post. Even though I swear you be stealing ideas from my blog from time to time- JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!

Los Angelista said...

It sounds like you're avoiding putting yourself in any one box and that's hard to do in our world. Boxes are comfortable. They tell us where we fit in, where we belong.

You know how the saying is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Well, the box is probably in the eye of the beholder too. Some might put you in the scary black man box. Others might put you in the snobby black man category. Still others might put you in the un-environmentally friendly box.

Of course, according to most government forms, you'll only be fitting into one box and that's all that matters to the majority of Americans.

jjbrock said...

From reading your post I would say a Typical Black Man who know who he is and were he's going.

Eb the Celeb said...

I think the problem here lies when were are put in a box.

I for one... dont allow anyone to put me in a box. I am multi-dimensional. A renaissance black woman, and the type of person I am can change. Not one thing about me defines me.

Eb the Celeb said...

Oh and I feel you on that Sallie Mae thing... Im using my degree from undergrad but I just finished grad school (a degree i will probably never use just wanted an edge) and got my first knock on the door this month from them jokers... dang!

truth said...

Dirty Red,
I appreciate you showing love to my blog.

Brother Red, I believe you live outside the box of which society as tried to put us in. Our victory occurs when we live outside the box and do not allow others to define who we are. This knowledge of self we can give to our offspring, so they do not ever consider being boxed in by societies bullshit misconceptions.

brran1 said...

I don't think anyone should be put in a box.

David Sullivan said...

The only box anyone should be in is the one they put in the whole right in front of your gravestone.

chocolate_matters said...

I don't believe I fit in the "box" for black men whatever that is. I remember in school I was the nerd/geek or whatever you want to call a person who is into his/her studies so they can get ahead in life. I wasn't that much into sports. I did try out for the basketball team but that was only to try to impress a girl I liked. I ended up choking during the tryouts and got cut. The only reason I felt like trying out was that I thought she would like me better if I was. you know, one of the of athletes in school. I also caught a lot of flack during school because I like to bake. The boys gave me heat for it but the girls well they appreciated my baker's specialties.
Even today I find myself so out of the touch so to speak with my male peers. I don't believe in buying rims and other expensive gear just to show off. I drive a gas sipping honda accord sedan not an escalade or other luxury suv I see so many of fellow brothers drive around in. I respect black women and I don't curse ( at least not out in public). I can listen to neo soul, alternative music, jazz (my favorite right now), or rock (like aerosmith)
I don't like boxes and I don't think any man, of any color should try to fit in one.
Thanks for the post. I'll go visit that other page you got this from.

See ya around in the blogosphere!

peace.

Anonymous said...

This very same question forced me to write my book Big Black Penis: Misadventures in Race and Masculinity. The amount of heat that I got from the publisher (who were trying to box me in) an other folks was astounding. Screw boxes, brothers like us are way too fluid.

Shawn Taylor