Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why?

Life is a trip.

Life will throw some shit at you that will make you want to give it all up.

This past weekend my wife and I went down to San Antonio for a funeral. The funeral was for the father of my wife's best friend. Her best friend's family kinda sorta adopted us into their family while we lived in San Antonio. We went on family vacations with them, we went to family barbeques, we did all the "family" stuff with them. So this death hit us pretty hard.

Her father was a good man. He died with all of his family around him, which is the way I want to go out. I remember going over to his house after a hard day of working in that hot-ass warehouse to find him sitting on his porch with a beer in one hand and a blunt in the other. (Yes I said blunt, that is just what he did.)He would always greet me in the same way, "What's happening Red Dawg. How was H-E-B today?"
(H-E-B was the grocery store warehouse I worked in. He used to drive trucks for them.)I would proceed to tell him about my day, and he would give me advice on life.
He would tell me to keep my head up and keep doing what I was doing. (I was in college at the time also.)

His wife would come outside after a while and sit with us. She would tell me to go inside and get something to eat, and he would tell her that I was a grown-ass man, and if I wanted to eat, I knew where the kitchen was. He always told it like it was. No sugar coating, no bullshit. If you listened that was good, if you chose not to that was good too. His favorite saying was, "The more I teach you, the dumber I get!"

Mr. Jimmy, (Pops) was only 65 years old.

He died of cancer.
He would have been married to the same woman for 43 years this December.
He left 3 daughters, 2 sons, 10 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren.
He had many nieces and nephews as well as hundreds of friends.

He was a good man. He was a mentor to me, a father to many, a grandfather to even more, and a loving dedicated husband to one beautiful woman.

He will be sorely missed.

8 comments:

Truth said...

Dirty Red,
My condolences go out to you and the family of your friend. Although he has passed on, may the stories and memories that you have of him give comfort to you for many years to come. Knowing that "he lives on" in those memories and stories you share. Hang in there, DR.

jjbrock said...

Dirty Red my condolences go out to your family and friends. From reading your article I can tell he touch your life in a special way.

David Sullivan said...

I like to consider myself an old school, no bullshit kind of guy and could gleen from your post that this man was just that.

Hoist a beer to your man, he's in a better place than any of us right now.

Peace.

ZACK said...

My condolences to you, Red. I also lost a close family friend, who was 5 days shy of turning 65. He suddenly died too, and his family is really in a daze right now.

Keep praying dude and always hang on to the memories.

Dirty Red said...

Thanks everybody for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Mr Jimmy meant a lot to me. He treated me like I was one of his sons. He will always be here in spirit.

Thanks again.

chocolate_matters said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Its a shame how unfair life can be but just remember this will make you stronger. Just remember the good times and everything will be alright.
He will remain immortal through the words of advice he gave you and you will surely pass them on to the next generation and so on.

peace and take care.

brran1 said...

Your family has my condolences Dirty Red. Keep ya head up Bruh.

Kieya said...

Condolences to you & your closest.