Sunday, March 9, 2008

Will you Hire me?













I have been trying to post my thoughts on my blog for about 3 days now, and this site has not allowed me to . I might have to jump ship and find another home... But anyway here are my thoughts....


Of all the above pictures that you see here, which young man, (or in Master P's case old man trying to be young), would you hire if you were a HR rep for your company, and anyone of these gentlemen were to come into your office for potential employment?
I ask this because I see all the above pictures everyday stroll through my office. I am not in HR, but a person does have to come through my office in order to get approved for employment with my organization. My office runs criminal history checks and we fingerprint potential employees. Basically we are the deciding factor on who gets hired or who gets denied.
Everyday I see well dressed individuals and everyday I see young men (and sometimes women), that look like they just stepped out of one of Master P's videos. Please understand that if all the checks and fingerprints that we run come back clean, then that person is hired. So it basically does not matter what a person looks like that comes into my office.
However....
First appearances are everything. And my office is one of the steps that a person has to take to get a job with my organization. So in saying that, I believe that a person should come into my office looking like they are serious about being hired, because ultimately we are part of the interviewing process.
So my question is this.....
What are schools and parents teaching our youth about what needs to happen in order to get hired by any company? Or should the question be, are they teaching our youth anything?
I had to tell a young man (black man) the other day to pull his damn pants up. I had to tell a young man the other day (white man) to leave because he smelled like he had just smoked a good blunt out in the parking lot. I have seen my female coworkers tell female applicants to leave because of their foul mouths, or to get off their damn cell phones.
This really bothers me. I know when I was younger I did some of the same stuff I see these young cats of today doing. But I did respect myself and my elders. I did have enough common sense (or what I call come-on sense), that I knew that in order to get a job anywhere, from McDonald's, to a furniture warehouse, I had to dress the part. I think the best way I can put it is this, Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
So what the fuck is wrong with today's parents? What are our schools that WE are funding with our Tax Dollars teaching?
How are these kids supposed to achieve anything without some kind of guidance?
Or am I just getting old?

6 comments:

ZACK said...

Well, the parents are part of a vicious cycle themselves. Just because our parents were raised right, doesn't mean their peers given the same upbringing.

Rather than blame the parents, we should blame ourselves. Either we are part of the problem or the solution.
Complaining does nothing but just state the obvious. Solutions come from looking at what we want to see. Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen. So, let us call those things that appear not, as though they were. Our kids WILL do better because WE will do better.

It's still love, dirtyred. I'm just being difficult with you because I'm bored. LOL! You're a good man though.

Dirty Red said...

Once again Zack you are right. It is the parents. I am not complaining though. It just pisses me off that decent common sense is not being taught to our youth. But keep commenting man. I need the honest critiques. How else will I be able to get this writing thing off the ground?

brran1 said...

You have to play the part, to get the part. I learned that at a young age. I do personally think that some people need to be told. And unfortunately, in some families, that information is the last to be told...

David Sullivan said...

Fake it till you make it. That is something I've taken to heart. I grew up in abject poverty, but always knew that in order to move up I needed to disconnect from ther comfort of my then current environs.

Zach is right on. But as a parent I need to be sure that the cycle I've broken stays that way. My kids will know for sure that even though crime and violence are glorified in the media at large that you need to play the game and play the part.

Jazzylady said...

Socialization and socializing comes from the place where the child starts, home and parents. This where they are taught all the social skills they will use in life, from table manners to how to dress for the world. Never rely on someone else to do what you should do yourself, and socialization skills learned in the home are never forgotten. Unfortunately, lol, as you can see, some homes are horrible learning places, doing the kids more harm than good.

Los Angelista said...

I used to be one of those folks who'd go to universities and interview seniors. It's easy to be swayed by someone who's dressed ultra-professionally. Sometimes folks genuinely don't have the funds for a suit and so I'd give them a pass if they were neat and clean and at least had on business casual. But some of them just did the most unacceptable things. Red brassieres with tight white "dress" shirts, low rise pants with exposed thongs, Birkenstocks or Converse tennis shoes... yeah, I saw it all and sometimes I sensed that there was an arrogance in the applicant that kept them from being able to dress with any kind of sense.