Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gas or Food? Which one Today?


As I have stated on my blog before, I live in a suburb about 15 minutes south of downtown Dallas, Tx. My job is about 18 miles north of downtown. So I am driving about 33 miles 1 way to work everyday. As with the rest of America I am feeling the pain every time I go to fuel up my truck. Well I was feeling the pain, I am in the market for a new vehicle now because my truck was stolen 2 weeks ago. Right out of my fucking driveway! But that is a subject for another post.

Anyways....

There are about 6 or 7 (give or take a couple) gas stations within a 3 mile radius of my neighborhood. There is a Min-yards market fuel stop, 2 Exxons, 3 Chevrons, and 2 SuperWal-Marts. Every one of these gas stations have different prices. Even the two Wal-Marts.

FYI...
Do not go to a Wal-Mart to get gas. Their gas is always cheaper than everyone else, but you get what you pay for, ya dig?

Here is my problem...

How in the hell can all these different places have different prices even though they are the same damn company? Every one of the Chevrons have different prices for their whip juice, even though 2 of them are right beside each other! It is the same with the Exxons. The Wal-Marts have a little distance between them, but the prices are still different.

Now this is just my opinion, but even though I am sure that each of these establishments are owned by somebody different, they still operate under the same flag. So should it not be company policy that if you operate under let's say... Exxon, your prices should be the same as all the other Exxons? Is that not good business?

Is this not an example of price gauging?

I can go to any Wal-Mart in the country, and if I want to buy a 6 pack of socks, the socks will be the same price no matter what Wal-Mart I am in. Believe me, I have checked. I should buy stock in Wally-World I am in one so much.

So what is the difference with gas?

How can my government explain this to me? Is there not some sort of Government regulation that covers this? How can these big-wig oil executives fix their mouths to say that they do not engage in price gauging, when the evidence is right there for everyone with a vehicle to see?

Well, I guess that is enough bitching for now. I mean what will it change?
I have to drive to get to work. I have to drive to get food. I have to drive to do anything, since the DART (DALLAS AREA RAPID TRANSIT)does not come out here where I live.

This is one of the biggest reasons I miss the East. I would not drive at all if I was back home. I would be on the Metro everyday with a big smile on my face.

But ol well...

Which Chevron will it be today?

The $ 3.98 one or the $ 3.96 one?

2 comments:

Los Angelista said...

How about the $4.72 one down the street from me? Gas is almost $6 in some parts of Beverly Hills. There is major price gouging going on and our gov't is just sitting back with their hands thrown up in the air acting like they can't don anything about it.

My husband goes 25 miles each way and we are definitely feeling it. There's no way he can take public transportation here in LA to get to his job. It would probably take him at least 2 1/2 hours.

For a whole lot of folks it is turning into gas vs food and we're seeing the spike in crime out here as a result.

Kieya said...

another reason why i love NY/boston (somewhat)...driving is optional. you have a serious point there though - why should prices be any different?