Monday, July 7, 2008

I am Chocolate...What are you?


What Race is "White"?

What race is "Black"

I work everyday where I see people come into my office with "White" or "Black" marked on their applications as their ethnicity. Why is that?

Every other ethnic group has a specific name. Asians are not called "Yellows", Mexicans are not called "Browns", Africans do not call themselves "Black", even the few Europeans that come into my office do not call themselves "white".

So why do we Americans classify ourselves by colors?

I looked up the definition of White and Black and this is what I found....


White- The combination of all the colors of the visible light spectrum.[1] White is an achromatic color, since it has no hue.

In nature, white results when transparent fibers, particles, or droplets are in a transparent matrix of a substantially different refractive index. Examples include classic "white" substances such as sugar, foam, pure sand or snow, cotton, clouds, and milk. Crystal boundaries and imperfections can also make otherwise transparent materials white, as in the milky quartz or the microcrystalline structure of a seashell. This is also true for artificial paints and pigments, where white results when finely divided transparent material of a high refractive index is suspended in a contrasting binder. Typically paints contain calcium carbonate and/or synthetic rutile with no other pigments if a white color is desired.

Black- The color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of light. Sometimes black is described as an "achromatic color", but in practice it can be considered a color, as in expressions like "black cat" or "black paint".

THE ABOVE DEFINITIONS WERE SUPPLIED BY WILKIPEDIA.COM

Does this sound like any person you know?

I have known some "white" people that were so pale they looked transparent, but they did not fit the above definition.

I have known some "black" people that were so dark they looked blue, but they did not fit the above definition.

So where did calling a persons ethnic background a color on the rainbow come from?

I do not know.

But I know that I am not "Black". If you want to describe me by a color, I would be a deep chocolate. So does that mean I have invented a new ethnic group of people?

The Chocolates?


What color are you?

4 comments:

David Sullivan said...

At the playground the other day my 3 year old said "Dad, did you see me playing with that brown kid?" I asked which brown kid because there were white kids with tans, hispanic kids, black kids etc...he said "that one". It was a light colored black girl his age. Side by side they were almost the same color, but he didn't see that they had identical hues, but that her color was brown. I didn't correct him and say no, shes black because she was brown.

Dirty Red said...

Sully,
Where the hell have you been? I was beginning to think I was getting a little too radical for ya.
Nice to see you back!!

freemanpress said...

Well it's just a generalization of the colors. I am Bambi Brown or Thanksgiving Day Turkey Brown. Now if we all did this there would be no way to classify us with these racially charged statistics.

In a perfect world this doesn't really matter, but since it's not perfect they have to compare everyone against each other. Because what does it matter if everyone in this area is black and they are doing bad in school. They are doing bad in school being Black is not a reason.

The only time we are all Americans is when we go to War. Other than that you are a Black guy. Can't you tell that when everyone calls you Bro!

David Sullivan said...

Radical?...pleeeeeze!