Wednesday, November 5, 2008

No one on the corner has swagger like us....




It feels good to be proven wrong.

I did not think his O-ness could pull it off. I thought that all those folks that said they wanted change out in public would reneg when they were in the privacy of that booth.

Boy, was I wrong!!!

Big O got 65% of the white vote.

He got 67% of the Latino vote.

We all know he got probably 99.9% of the Black vote. The only Black dude I know that voted against him was my man Daddio911. But he is on a planet all to himself.

This is a good day to be an American.

I am finally represented in a positive manner to the world.

I no longer have to be a basketball player, a football player or a rapper to be considered as having made it.

I don't have to sing for you or dance for you, or make you laugh to be considered a "good" American.

I don't have to be a movie star to be considered mainstream.

Now I have someone that looks like me, talks like me and acts like me, talking FOR me to the world.

There is someone that shares my heritage representing me.

The notion that some people in this country have that Black People are inferior to the rest of the people that inhabit this great country of ours was squashed last night.

This election was never about electing the first "black" president.
It was about being accepted and recognized for being American, no matter what color your skin is.

This election was not about only me or people that look like me.

It was about being American.

For the first time in my life I am proud of my country.

10 comments:

David Sullivan said...

You can dance and sing? Can you send me a clip of your meanest "Cabbage Patch"?

I am more proud than ever to be an American.

ZACK said...

That's makes 2 of us about the Obama doubters. But it does feel so good to be proven wrong.

As a black man, I will definitely have a personal attachment to this moment in history. But as an American, this moment is way deeper than my skin color. This moment shows that people will do what's right when God allows a storm to make them do so.

I was telling my friends in an election chat last night: "It's amazing how the storm of the economy and race relations made us take shelter together. When there's a hurricane, you don't give a damn what color the people are in the shelter- you just want to be safe".

Big ups to America for doing what's right. But don't put down Daddio too fast. He's a hero too for standing by his convictions.

Anybody who voted is a hero because it's all about making a choice.

Eb the Celeb said...

I knew deep down that he would win but I could have never imagined by so much... I just knew there was going to be some glitch somewhere that they would try to deny him but he literally crushed the competition... it was a beautiful feeling!

StillsPanther2 said...

Brother...I too feel thrilled to be wrong. Mystory had conditioned my thoughts and hopes to be limited, maybe moreso having and carry around negative feelings/anger towards America. Oh what joy this morning to lay that burden down. Now is the time for hard work..I know God has prepared a people that can withstand the challenge.MLK only spoke about the "mountaintop".... now what are we gonna do? Thank-you and all the bloggers, Zack too, for carrying me through the last two years leading up to yesterday. "who woulda thunk?"

truth said...

Dirty Red,
I never thought I would live long enough to see someone of African decent become president. As a black man, I have to seriously rethink how I view my country and how my country perceives me.

Hawa Bond said...

It's Friday and I'm still speechless. I haven't even put a single "CONGRATS" on my blog because I literally can't find the words.

A Black man for Pres. DAYUM.

Hawa, author of
Fackin Truth Blog (Personal Blog)
and
Cleanse Master Remix (Health Blog)

PCLicious Video Tutorials said...

January 20th cant come any faster!

"I no longer have to be a basketball player, a football player or a rapper to be considered as having made it." That’s a great quote!

-
My Latest Video Tutorial: Digital Photos, Ultimate Video Guide To Managing, Editing, Archiving And Emailing!

Kieya said...

for the first time
i'm pretty proud too

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there,

Black folks need to realize that Obama needs two terms in office to get his plans off of the drawing board...yes...two terms.

Black people in every state need to start financing more political campaigns because more blacks need to be in the Senate...and in the House!!

All those folks crying that Barack won...how much did they contribute? We need to stop wanting something by spending nothing...progress has a price.

Amen!!

Lisa

Robert said...

I too am proud. But then again I have always been proud to be an American, even if I were not proud of some of her peoples actions. But you know, on Nov. 4 who I was most proud of? Black people, becuase we set out to get out and vote and we did. We set out to elect the first black president in history, and we did. Many years ago, Matin Luther King, wanted us to feel empowered...and on that day we did, because we earned it.