Friday, December 12, 2008

I see Pink Elephants and Purple Dinosaurs


Yesterday afternoon while I was sweating to some Big Daddy Kane at my office gym, I noticed something that, well, for lack of a better term, made me think about this great country that we live in.

On 3 of the 4 50 inch Plasma's that are right in front of the treadmill I was on, was ESPN's All Madden championships.

For those of you that don't know what this is, it is a championship for the best player of the Madden08 NFL football game. The winner was some kid from somewhere that I don't remember. He won $100,000.

$100,000 DOLLARS for playing a video game. (Lord I am in the wrong business.)

Anyways...

That is not what got me to thinking. I am happy for the brother. He did the damn thing and he did it legal. I ain't knocking this KID'S hustle. Get your paper by what ever way you can.

What got me to thinking was all the grown ass men that were there cheering this KID on. They were yelling and high-fiving each other like they were at the SuperBowl.

Me personally, I don't find any enjoyment playing video games. They bore me. I do however like the Nintendo WII, and I intend on getting me one soon. That is only because I can actually interact with the game. I can get a good work-out playing the WII.

But sitting on a couch with a bunch of other grown ass men does not appeal to me at all. I would rather be on a court, field or golf course doing that shit for real.
I don't see the purpose of pretending to be a commando, or a medieval knight. I don't get the sensation of pretending to kill zombies or jack cars in Malibu.

And that is the purpose of this post.

Americans like to fantasize. We like to pretend that we are somebody else, or that we have more money than we actually do, or that we were born with DD tata's. We like to pretend that our eyes are blue or that we were born naturally blond or that our hair was born straight cascading down our backs.
We like to pretend that America is just and fair to all of it's citizens.
We like to pretend that the people that we elect to represent us actually do have our best interests in mind.

Most Americans are a bunch of pretenders.

That is what I was thinking about as I watched those grown ass men cheering those kids on for pretending to play in the NFL.

Pretending.

I guess pretending to be real is the new reality.

5 comments:

ZACK said...

Outstanding post!

Pretending is definitely America's hidden past time. You know, like pretending as if corporations would actually be honest in their accounting. Or pretending like the legal system is set up with the best interest of minorities at heart.

Well, like the old saying goes: "Pretend to pay me, so I can pretend to work". The same rule of thumb applies to many other things in this country.

truth said...

Great post,
People generally take the path of least resistance. It's easier to pretend than actually doing something about our lives or a cause.

Playing video games allows folk to escape from reality for a while. I think if gets to the point where you're cheering and fighting over a game, than one has gone too far. If it's something you do every once in a while, than so be it.

A Go Bytch said...

gREAT ....GREAT....GREAT POST AND I AGREE!

gO b.

Folk said...

Pretending isn't the new reality. It has been reality for many generations for most of America.

Reality is the new reality. As most Americans are finding out!

David Sullivan said...

I like to pretend, but I like doing better.

I play real golf, but I can play Tiger '09 when the snow is covering the ground up here for the next three months.

The flip side is if we don't pretned then the things we never pretend never come true...I M G I N A T I O N...we would never have put a man on the moon if we didn't pretend first and we never would have put a black man in the highest elected office without pretending by watching Morgan Freeman sitting in the Oval Office.

Pretending paves the way for reality.