Thursday, May 7, 2009

'If you ain't cheating you ain't trying'


There is a saying in the Army that goes like this....

'If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying'.

This saying gets said a lot. Especially when a unit is deployed on a training mission and supplies run short.

Example....

One of the lights in our tent went out the other day, and a Private was told to go "acquire" another one from somewhere. Well about an hour later the Private came back with another light.

We asked where he got it and he replied, 'Well Sgt, if you ain't cheating you ain't trying'. Everybody laughed it off, including yours truly.

Well I got to thinking about a comment that my man Rippa left on my previous post. He left a comment that basically said that there is a double standard when it comes to soldiers and their behavior.

I did not take offense to his comment because Rippa is my man. But I still felt the need to defend my beloved fraternity. I replied back to Rippa saying that soldiers and cops should be held to the same standard, but we are not. Well after I got to thinking about the Private "acquiring" the light we needed, I....


Well I have to admit that Rippa has a very valid point.

There are a lot of soldiers that have a superman complex. There are a lot of soldiers that have a 'my way is the only way' mentality.
There is a lot of machoism and "strongman" complexes in the military.

This leads to a problem.

The problem is that some soldiers feel that they cannot be touched due to the training we receive. We are trained constantly in weapons proficiency,physical fitness and hand to hand combat. We are trained on how to survive out in the bush with nothing but a knife and a clean pair of draws.

All this training that we receive leads to a competitive bad-ass attitude that most soldiers, including yours truly, have.

This is why there is a rise in the military of females getting raped. This is why civilians get killed and mistreated.

The same goes with the Police. The Police are trained basically the same way we are.
We both have a lot of power that is way too much for some people to handle.
I like to think that I am in control of my 'superman' complex, but sometimes it does come to the surface.

I find myself doing everything I know how to do to win, no matter what I have to do, in whatever I am doing. If I know that you have a weakness that will give me an advantage, then your weakness will get exploited. If I have to bite, twist nuts or gouge eyes, then you will have my teeth marks, a set of sore nuts, and you will be visiting your eye doctor.

A couple of female Sgts in my unit told me that I have a very competitive nature when it comes to any type of contest. They called me a gambler, but I am not.

I just cannot pronounce the word "loser".

I will play until I am satisfied with my performance. If it takes a week for me to beat your ass, then we will be fighting a week.

I don't know if that is due to my military background or if I have always been like this, but it is what it is.

This is the problem with organizations like mine that give an individual a lot of power they have never had before.

Power is addictive. You want more and more of it.

Some people can handle it, some cannot.

I like to think I am one of the many that can handle it.

At least I have handled it pretty good so far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess your weakness is needing to win, so the way that somebody could get at you is to whoop your azz at something then don't ever play you again.

Dirty Red said...

Anon,

So that is my weakness huh?
Well thanks for letting me in on the secret ANONYMOUS. I'll tell you what, why don't you admit your weakness about not having the balls to post who you are when you talk shit on other people's blogs. So I guess YOUR weakness is bitchassness.
Am I right ANONYMOUS?

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there,

This is an interesting view.

Rape is a crime of sexual violence that is all about CONTROL and DOMINATION but I am not sure that it can be related to competitiveness.

Plenty of highly competitive men are very productive and constructive with their competitiveness WITHOUT destroying the lives of others with sexual violence.

You have shared some thoughts that may lead me to do a post about competitiveness - from a sista's point of view!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Giselle Piper said...

My bad, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers I thought I was just pointing out the obvious. At any rate I wasn't trying to be rude so I apologize.

I can post a name and avatar if you want but I'm thinking you still aren't going to know who I am, I read your blog (as I respect your mind) but I never left a comment before... maybe I should have left it at that. But just for the record my name is Giselle Piper.

I don't think my weakness is bitchassness but maybe it is, define that for me. My weakness as far as I know is how sensitive my conscious is... I can barely tell a lie without thinking that everybody knows I'm lying.

Have a good one!

Dirty Red said...

Blackwoman,

Thanks for the comment. I was not trying to imply that being competive was a reason for rape. There is no good reason to rape. I was just saying that there is too much testosterone in my choosen field and dudes are going to find a way to release it. But I understand how you might have misunderstood me.

Giselle, I aplogize. I hate Anon comments. I have been trying to find a way to block anon comments, but I have not ofund a way yet. But please accept my apology. Thank-you for commenting.

Giselle said...

DR

If you want to stop the anon comments you can go to settings then click on comments and at the second question if you will select at least registered users, you won't shouldn't get anymore anon's.

Apology accepted

natural nubian said...

"We both have a lot of power that is way too much for some people to handle."

I think people given power isn't the problem, it's the person's character that I question. Personal responsibility/self-control is a topic many folks in power deflect and place the blame on every external circumstance rather than looking within realizing it's the battle with themselves they're really fighting....not the 'enemy' but the 'inner me.'

i'm a sore loser like the rest of 'em. i know my skills and only trash talk 'bout things i know i can back up. but i must say i'm deeply saddened by the abuse of power men in the military and armed forces of every kind (police, guard, marines, etc.), specifically you mentioning the raping of fellow female officers. this has nothing to do with wanting to win, this has to do with forcing oneself/control over another the men see as weaker.