Friday, October 9, 2009

I talk a good game on this blog, so does that make me eligible for a Nobel Peace Prize?


So the President has just been declared the winner of the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE.

I have mixed feelings about this. There are many questions that need to be asked and answered before I cosign on this. Although I know it does not matter what the hell I think, I wasn't on the voting committee.

I believe that there were other more deserving people who should have been considered.
President Obama has only been a President for 9 months. He has not done anything that benefits the world stage, except expose the hypocrisy and bigotry here in the country that elected him. He has TALKED a good game about what he WANTS to do, but he has not had TIME to DO anything yet.

So what was the CRITERIA for giving him this award?
Did they like his SPEECHES on bringing Christians and Muslims together?
Did they like him going to damn near every country in Europe apologizing for the Bushies fuck ups?
Did they like how he is TALKING about helping people in this country with health care?
Or what about him TALKING about ending the wars that were started by his predecessor, but has yet to do?

I am very proud of our President, but.....
I don't understand this.

Wouldn't it have made better sense for the voting committee to wait until he actually accomplished something on the World Stage before they just by passed more deserving candidates?

What was the reasoning behind this?

I don't know who the other nominees were, I am going to have to research it, but I don't agree with this.

This prize was given prematurely.

I always thought that recipients of this prestigious award had to have given a lifetime in helping the world be a better place.

How the hell does electing a Black President in a White Dominated country fit into that?

The man still needs to make good on all the speeches he has given. I admit that he inspires the hell out of me, and probably damn near every other Black Man in this country. I was at the Dallas VA the other day checking on my education benefits, and I passed by a picture of the President and I swear I must have stood there in awe looking at that picture for at least 5 minutes. I mean to just see a picture of a man who looks like he could be my Uncle, up in a United States Federal Building, just made my heart swell with pride.

But....
He has not done anything to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
Inspiring people to kiss the sky should not be enough.
He needs to accomplish something that benefits all people in the world before his name should have even been whispered.

I am Sorry Mr. President, I ain't hating, but this shit here is not right.

But this is just my opinion. An opinion that only matters to me.

4 comments:

Mail said...

Obama can't control the world or solve the problems of the world. He is God like but he's not a God! He can only try. That's all I want him to do. Try your best is all you can do in this life. By the way I don't believe he owes the world anything. He should only worry about this country. If we have something to help others with then great.He is not all talk by the way and this noble peace prize is well a great thing!But I still love your blog!

MoMo said...

if he becomes the 1st black president to be killed in office, will you think he deserves it then? if you don't know why he was selected, go to their website. it's on the front page. whats sad is not only did they have the poll on facebook about killing him, now they got one asking people to vote to see if he deserves this peace prize. maybe people don't realize or understand what the criteria is for this honor. my question is, why is the methods and actions of the committee now being questioned? it wasn't questioned when Gore was selected because he made a movie about global warming.

Jackie said...

Love your blog.
Obama deserves the prize. He deserves it because he has set the stage for peace more than any world leader has in decades. He cannot and may not be able to accomplish everything he wants anymore than Al Gore has accomplished for his environmental goals. It's not all about that because they realize many things are out of his hands to control. But, the fact is Obama has put America back in a position to accomplish many things in the area of peace. He has let the Moslem world know that he will listen. That he does not consider all Moslems the enemy or evil. He has let the world know that America is not just an isolated country only obssessed with ourselves to the detriment of all others. His change in diplomatic attitude is embraced worldwide as the most hopeful sign from the most powerful nation. America is now the #1 most admired nation up from #7 last year. We again have the clout and the power and the world believes the desire for peace and goodwill. This is all due to Barack Obama. That is why he won the award and why he deserves it.

Talia said...

This is so interesting.. while I am VERY proud of My president also, I have to say your Blog made me chuckle. I think you are actually on to something. Just because He ignites a pride within me.. I'm not exactly sure WHAT he DID to receive this. Pres.Obama did however, say he himself didnt think he deserved the award and received it as a call to action.
In his own words:
"To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone."