Thursday, October 29, 2009

They spinning Nigga, they spinning!!


The other day I went to a rim store to look at some rims for my truck. In my short life I have had about 10 different cars. I have put after market rims on 1 of them. I have always wanted some chrome "shoes" for my whip, but my money was always a little funny.

Well now that I am doing alright, I decided to treat myself to some 20's or 22's for my ride.

I went to several rim stores in the South Dallas and OakCliff area but I did not see what I was looking for. Well I didn't know what I was looking for, I was just looking.

All the stores I went to asked me why did I want to get such "small" rims for my truck since my truck could fit up to 26 inch rims.

I told them that I wanted what I wanted since it was my pocket that was going to be several grand lighter.

Well this experience got me to thinking.....

Why the hell did I want to get fancy rims in the first place?
What was wrong with the rims and tires I already had?

I could not answer myself, so I decided to think on it some more before I made a decision to spend so much of my hard to come by greenery.

I decided to ride around the "hood" for a minute before I made it back to my nice suburban home.

On my drive through the streets of South Dallas and OakCliff, I drove by at least 4 cars that were pulled over by the fuzz. Every one of the cars that were blue-lighted had fancy big rims and tires. Every one of the cars had occupants that looked like they were extras in a 50 cent video.

Again I asked myself, 'Why do you want fancy rims'?

All those cars that I passed by stood out like OCTOMOM at an abortion clinic.

It was like those little boys driving those tricked out whips were yelling as loud they could, 'Look at me Bitches!! Ain't I riding fly? See what not working will do for you? Who needs education when I can drive something that yells out look at me?"

I am not saying that all 4 of those cars had occupants that were doing anything illegal, (that would be racial profiling)but I bet at least 3 of them did. And the only thing that probably caught the attention of the Poo-lice, was those 26 inch rims on a '72 Caprice Classic.

So I decided to keep the rims and tires that were on my truck when I brought it.

No one sees me when I drive through the hood but the people that I want to see me.

I must be getting old.

Or smart.

6 comments:

truth said...

Brother Red,

I think this shows you're becoming more wise as you age. Many people buy rims because they believe in the materialism our culture permeates. People buy these expensive things as status symbols. The idea being you must have money to put those rims on your car. To have money is to be important.

You thought wiser of it probably because you recognize that relating one's self worth to income is shallow and narcissistic. Besides, the fact that somebody has expensive items, doesn't necessarily mean they're rich. They could be in debt and living a lie.

You're a smart brother, Dirty red. I'm positive you'll think of a wiser way to spend that hard earned cash.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Oh, I dunno. Rims are sexy, but Truth made some good points. Were I a guy, it would come down to my job security and how much blow money I had available after paying bills and putting aside a percentage for savings.

Red (and others), come by my blog when you get a chance and read a funny, political short story I wrote, titled Vain & Insatiable.

Dirty Red said...

Truth,

November is here man. I think you have had a long enongh vacation man. Get to writing!!

Kit,
Damn good short Story. I enjoyed it. You are a talented writer and I will continue to read your work.

Nspired said...

I think it's both, You're getting old"er" and smart.

sunnydelyte21 said...

I agree with Truth, your becoming wise..you want people to look at you as a grown as man, not someone trying be like everyone else.

You are who you are and that attract the right attention.

Long the blog...

sunnydelyte21 said...

**Love the blog.. sorry I type too fast