Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bah HumBug!! Merry New Year and all that Jazz


I hate this time of year. I hate the "holiday" season. I think it is fake and too commercialized. I think that it has nothing to do with God or Jesus. None of the holidays are in the bible and none of them started out as "christian" days. They were all started as celebrations to different Gods other than the "christian" God.

That is why I do not do Christmas, Easter or Halloween. The only Holiday I can get with is Thanksgiving. Even though I understand that this is a day that celebrates the time when the pilgrims swindled the Native American's out of their land and knowledge of that land, I can still get with being thankful for the blessings that God has bestowed upon you. I believe that you should give thanks everyday that you wake up breathing, but the way Thanksgiving has evolved into just taking time out to appreciate all the blessings in your life, is alright with me.

But the other holiday's.... Naaa. I can't fuck with them.


No where in the Bible does it say that we are supposed to celebrate the day Jesus was born. No where in the Bible does it say what day Jesus was born. If it is in there somewhere, somebody please shoot me an email so I can read it for myself. What makes a sane parent tell his kids that a fat White Man with flying reindeer has somehow delivered all the gifts under the tree in the middle of the night Christmas Eve, when 9 times out of 10 those same kids were with you when you brought those gifts at Wal-Mart?
Naaa.... I can't fuck with that.

And Easter... Come on Son. What the hell does a rabbit laying eggs have to do with Jesus being resurrected?
Why would I lie to my kids like that?

And Halloween?

Man please. Why would I allow my kids to celebrate a day that is geared towards everything EVIL and DEMONIC? How in the hot ass hell does dressing up as a vampire or a serial killer represent anything "christian?"

It is all bullshit to me.

This is why I do not consider myself a Christian. How can I associate myself with something that embraces and endorses shit that I am opposed to?

None of this shit is Christ-Like.

And why does this time of year everyone all of a sudden starts to think of the people that have been struggling the whole year? And after the holiday has come and gone will the ONE meal on Christmas or the TOYS for HOMELESS kids help them out the rest of the year?

Isn't Christians supposed to be helpful to the needy all year instead of one damn day out of the year?

It is hypocritical to me and I can't fuck with it.
If I see you need help, I will help you until you don't need it, or until I see that you are using me, which ever comes first.
The time of year doesn't even factor into the equation. One meal will not last all year. Toys do not help kids with no where to play with them.
 But this shit here? This "Holiday" season, " Be cheerful and Ho Ho Ho" shit?
Naaa...
I ain't gonna be able to do it.

7 comments:

Talia said...

ONCE again.. I agree!! NONE of these are in the Bible and no where does it say to celebrate these days! HOW can we say that we are Christ-Like and not do what CHRIST did.. Uhh.FIRST of all he was Jewish..not a christian. SIGH.,. I could go on and on but I think you summed it all up in this sentence :It is hypocritical to me!

ATLGirl73 said...

I'd have to say that I agree 100%! What always amazes me too is that everyone I know feels so bad that I'm alone on Thanksgiving and Christmas even when I tell them expressly that I'm cool and I prefer it that way. I get all the forced invitations to dinner and to hang out while they open presents and then have to look at the perpetual long faces when I decline. What about inviting me over to break bread on a random weeknight/weekend?

And I agree with you on these "celebrations" being anything but Christ-like. These holidays are shams and I feel that they do more harm than good. "Bah Humbug" indeed!

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Bah humbug my azz. I'm glad my daddy didn't think like this!

He wasn't perfect but some of my best memories came from us on holidays, from his hiding the Easter basket and chocolate bunnies, to taking me trick or treating, to picking out a tree and decorating it and going to church to hear great Christmas music, and of course, the presents and taking all those pictures.

You know how you separate the genocide of the Native Americans from Thanksgiving and redefine it to make it yours? I don't recall how old your kids are, but one of nicest gifts you can give them is redefining those other holidays to make it theirs.

That's my two cents.

Don said...

extremely funny and truthful post. i too think America is caught up in a holiday madness of sorts. but i understand how and why America has made this the norm. money.

i converse with an elder in a Jehovah Witness study once and we arrived at the date of Jesus's birth. you are very correct. the only mention the Bible makes is how there were some who were laid in the field awaiting his birth.

of course this weather does not coincide with winter.

saint james said...

There are people who celebrate Christ as the fact that Christ was born without the fanare or the obvious and historical fact that it could not have taken place in December. I am one. Easter is a pagan festivla dedicated to the goddess Astarte (a goddess of fertility) hence the bunnies; you know what they are famous for right?
I celebrate Christmas as you celebrate Thanksgiving; in the spirit of the day.

MrCautious said...

I'm feeling alot of what you have said especially the part about helping people year round and not just because there is suddenly a desire to fulfill a desire to be "warm and fuzzy."

Dirty Red said...

To all that commented, Thank you. I truly appreciate all your thoughts. i am kinda surprised that so many of you agreed with my point of view. I thought I would get all kinds of backlash from people about this. Especially from the "Christians" among us.
Kit,
You have a valid point. As always. But I just cannot fake the funk with the kiddies just because it might feel good. I appreciate how your Pops made the Holidays special for you, that is what a Father is supposed to do. But as for me I ain't gonna be able to do it. I ain't knocking you, because maybe if my Pops would have done what yours did, maybe my views would be different. But it is what it is.