Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's raining men!

I have a question.......

Can you teach Ru-Paul to be a soldier?

If you are lost by this question, I am happy to explain what I mean. Everyone that has read my lil 'ole blog knows that I am in the military. I have 10 years active duty and the last 2 I have been in the reserves. I am in Washington State now taking an advanced leadership course.

Anyways, at lunch today some of my classmates and I were discussing the policy "Don't ask, Don't tell". All of the cats I was talking to (including me) could care less if a soldier is Gay or Straight as long as they can shoot straight, and we can depend on them to have our back if we need them to. We have all served with dudes or females that we suspected of being Gay. So in my opinion, being Gay in the military is no big deal.

What we were discussing was, when this policy becomes null and void, how do you train a man who thinks and acts like a woman, to be a soldier in a man's Army?

Thinking a soldier is Gay and knowing a soldier is Gay is two different things.

Everybody I have ever served with has known a dude or a woman who they thought was Gay. But they kept their private lives private and they soldiered on.

But when this stupid law is repealed, I would bet that there are going to be some flaming red, Gay, Ru-Paul  ass dudes that join the military just to prove that they can.

This is going to be a problem.

First, some of these dudes are going to want to wear Lip-stick and nail polish and fancy hairstyles with their uniforms, like the rest of the women. How can you deny them? This would be grounds for lawsuits.

Second do you change the physical fitness standards to accomodate the men that are petite and fragile like women?

Third, there are a lot of homophobic assholes in the military. With the Ru-Paul brigade coming out of the closet, there is going to be an increase of hate crimes in the military.

I wonder if the people that are redoing this policy has thought of this?

I think that it is a disgrace that a Gay person cannot serve their country with pride the way a "straight" person can. But in an institution as old as the military that is still ran by "christian" White men that is just as old, well some things will never change.

I think that once this law is repealed, there is going to be a lot of backlash against Gay soldiers.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

8 comments:

Max Reddick said...

I spent a little over six years in the military. In fact my term of service ended at Fort Lewis, Washington with the 1st Special Forces group. And yes, the gays are already there and most of the time, we had a good idea of who the gays were.

But of course as soon as the law is appealed, you can expect some nuts to do something completely stupid out of complete ignorance.

jjbrock said...

Hello Red, I find your take on this matter very fascinating...I am willing to bet somewhere there's this showy, flashy and flamboyant person who wants to be seen is going to start some mess.

Don't get me wrong...I believe and think who ever wants to serve the country...should be allow to...But we all know there's some drama coming.

The Smoking Ace said...

I am with you on this one also. If it gets appealed, be ready for the worst.

N.P. Lopez said...

I can hear it now:

Them gays gonna start getting uppity! We got to put them in their place.

Any violence they brought that upon themselves for 'flaunting it' blah blah blah..."

Sad but I have to agree that its stupid for a gay soldiers to come out. The military is all about Machismo, unquestioned patriotism, and who has the biggest gun.

Not exactly an institution that is capable of being more accepting of gays than general society. General society doesn't exactly accept gays so expecting a highly regimentalized and conformist military culture to react with less hostility/violence is not realistic.

Strikes me as being in the same vein as the problem of women in combat roles. Too much sexual tension and the very real possibility that a small amount of retards are going to engage in idiot behavior after getting liquored up.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Uh, I don't think it's a bad thing, Red. Remember when women started coming into the military? Much of the same was said about blacks in military, universities, heck, anywhere.

And don't you guys have a dress code? And uniforms? And height and weight requirements?

I think the central concerns have always been are:

1) The the fear of seduction of straight soldiers by promiscuous gay soldiers, and

2) Fear that a gay soldier working in intelligence is more vulnerable to seduction by an undercover enemy spy (usually another male) and would not be able to keep a classified secret.

It is this last one that would most concern me from a pragmatic viewpoint, and frankly I don't know if that's a real and valid problem that would be more of a problem among gays than straights.

愛的一且ˋ said...

與其爭取不可能得到的東西,不如善自珍惜運用自己所擁有的 ..................................................

MoMo said...

lipstick and nail polish and hair styles like women? the dress code isn't going to change, what military are you in? women/men regardless of how they themselves classify their gender to the public eye, if the Doctor giving you the physical at MEPS says you are male/female guess what? you're going to conform or go home. besides, there is such a thing as military bearing that everyone has to follow when IN uniform.

Reggie said...

I've never served, but I have the feeling that men will be less inclined to piss a large group of other men off.......particularly men carrying guns. I'm thinking, that's not a smart thing to do.

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out though. In the past whether in private industry or in the military much was made of something that turned out to be a non-event. I just wonder if this turns out to be yet another non-event.