Thursday, June 17, 2010

HIStory is just that....HIS story

My man Reggie over at REGGIES RANTINGS, wrote a very good post about our countries 16th President, Abraham Lincoln.

Reggie, I hate to post jack you, but this post has been on my mind since I read it and it has been the topic of discussion between myself and a dude I know, so I decided to write about 'ole Honest Abe too.

In my comment to Reggie's post I said....

"As for your Abe Lincoln quote... That man sho could write, huh? But I agree with one of the other commenters that said that he was just a politician. Abe was just like every other white man that lived during that time. He thought Whites were superior and in fact he was quoted as saying that as long as Blacks and Whites shared the same space, there would be conflict. He was in fact planning on sending all the freed slaves to Liberia, but he got his cap peeled before he could implement it. And yes he freed the slaves, but freed them to what? They could not write, read and they did not own shit. They went to one form of slavery to another. And even though I detest any Black person that still uses slavery as an excuse to act Niggerish, I have to say that the effects of slavery and being treated as fourth citizens are still being felt today. I do agree that he was a great President though. Even though he DID not have the best interests of the slaves on his mind, he still signed the paper that made it illegal for us to be on the shelves at your local Wal-mart." 

Reggie provided some good quotes from Abe and other "heroes" of the civil war. I felt the need to provide a quote to back up the comment I made. And it goes a little something  like this......

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say, in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior. I am as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
Abraham Lincoln, in the book THE WRITINGS OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

I also said that "The Great Emancipator"  wanted to send all the people that looked like me and my man Reggie to Liberia. HERE is what I found concerning this.

I have never taken for granted what I was taught in HIStory class in school. I have always had questions that the (white)teachers I had in school either could not or refused to answer. They all made us believe that we owe everything we are to Abraham Lincoln. So I have always went to other sources to get my answers, and my teachers always had a problem with me when I questioned the version of HIStory that they were teaching. I was given detention more than one time just for telling the truth.

Now it is true that the man did have the nuts to buck the status qou and go against his true feelings about the Negra and sign the paper that made it illegal to own one of us like an I-pod.

But......
Do we owe everything we have accomplished in this country to him?

Uhhhhh...... I believe the answer is no.

If ole Honest Abe had not signed the papers that "freed" us, then another President would have. Sooner or later the slaves would have stood up and made the slave owners lay down. And in the best interests of the Union, what-ever President that would have been unlucky enough to be sitting in the big seat would have had to do something to keep the piece. So in my humble opinion, it was inevitable.

I believe that schools should teach the true version of history instead of the sanitized version that I and millions of other school children received.

It is a known fact that history is written by the winners and in this case the majority population rules.

Nobody White wants to hear that the "founding fathers" of their beloved United States were nothing more than racist thieves and murderers  that lied, killed and manipulated their way to start this country.

Nobody White wants to hear about how this country was actually built by people that they consider inferior to them.

We have been lied to and deceived since the beginning.

The brave men and women I owe my freedom to is not the White man/men that signed anything into law that they were forced to sign for political purposes, it is the Men/Women that actually fought for my freedom and paid for my right to exist with their blood.
These men and women looked like me and my man Reggie.
These Men/Women are the true "founding fathers" of this country.
They are the true patriots.
They are the ones that actually understood the meaning of  the words, "All men are created equal."

So when I hear shit like Abe Lincoln freed the slaves, I have to laugh.
It is almost as funny as the lies that were taught to me about how Christopher Columbus "discovered" a land that was already inhabited.

8 comments:

Reggie said...

My brother I would be an absolute liar if I said that I didn't agree with most of what you said. It is what it is.

So many of us don't know our history; and yes, it is HIStory. History has always been written by the victors and like it or not, Caucasians have been writing it for quite some time now. The average man, wouldn't know the reality of his own history, if it walked up and bit him on the ass. Personally I've always been intrigued by history and the reality that perception and bias have become actual history while fact has gone the way of the dodo bird.

I've written many blogs over the years regarding these historic happenings.....and yeah, I've been accused of being both a racist and unpatriotic. I don't say anything that isn't factual and I've always considered myself to be very patriotic. Back when I was on Yahoo 360 I remember writing a blog called "Happy White Folks Independence Day" and being called a racist by more than one Yahoo 360 blogger. I laughed then, like I laugh now. As if I were the instrument of racism that they made me to be. I was just telling the truth and they were reacting to the ugliness of that same truth. Perception is reality for most people though and sometimes what you see in the mirror is so repugnant to your sensibilities that you'd rather deal with fantasy than reality.

But I will say this about Abraham Lincoln, he did sign the Emancipation Proclamation and I honestly don't care about his motives for doing so. No he wasn't a perfect man, he was far from it. There are no perfect men, only perfect intentions. When a man is thirsty and he's offered a drink, he really shouldn't care why it's offered......regardless his thirst gets quenched.

Reggie said...

I really like how you expanded upon my post. I had to come back and read this yet again. We share so many of the same thoughts on this particular topic. The duality of America and man himself can be found within Abraham Lincoln the man.

It's the story of America.

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Agree with the feelings expressed in this post. Will add that blacks were freed to break the economic backbone of the South to pave the way for the North to expand industrialization, already taking place in the North.

Joanna said...

Right now I am reading a book about Black activists in NY from 1784 to 1861. It details the history of "colonization" (forced relocation) efforts vs "emigration" (voluntary relocation) It also details the efforts of free Black people in NY working towards ending slavery in the south and the suffrage movement. The final chapter (which I am about to read) is about "Seneca Village", a thriving Black community in NYC. (the residents were eventually forced out in order to make room for Central Park). A very interesting study...
The book is called "African or American" by Leslie M. Alexander. I highly recommend it.

玫友 said...

恨一個人,比原諒一個人,更傷力氣。..................................................................

Dirty Red said...

Reggie,
Well you know what they say, Great minds think alike! The dude I was talking about in this post, believes that ole Abe was the greatest Pres ever. He did not want to believe that his hero actually felt this way about people that could have been his ancestors. He told me I was just like most other Blacks, "chasing racism." Go figure. Ignorance is bliss huh?

Kitt,
Thank's for the continued support Ma. I can not write half as good as you can, but I am doing my best!

Joanna,
Thanks for the info. I will see if my local library has it. I am in the library so much, all the librarians know my name and the type of literature I like!! I will most def look for this.

gglenn888 said...

i have always said that abraham lincoln quote: "ain't freed us to $#!T!! the only reason lincoln freed the slaves was economic and strategic. england and france would not stop trading with the south during the civil war as long as slavery was still legal there. so the south had revenue to continue to fight the war. thus lincoln freed the slaves in those rebellious southern states, but not in the other areas still in the union. so that long tall "fool' in that long tall hat could still look out the window of the white house and across the potomac in va. and see enslaved darkies toiling away in bondage check out j.a rogers africa's gift to america for more on this subject

gglenn888 said...

i have always said that abraham lincoln quote: "ain't freed us to $#!T!! the only reason lincoln freed the slaves was economic and strategic. england and france would not stop trading with the south during the civil war as long as slavery was still legal there. so the south had revenue to continue to fight the war. thus lincoln freed the slaves in those rebellious southern states, but not in the other areas still in the union. so that long tall "fool' in that long tall hat could still look out the window of the white house and across the potomac in va. and see enslaved darkies toiling away in bondage check out j.a rogers africa's gift to america for more on this subject