Thursday, August 1, 2013

To get respect..we have to give respect..starting with respecting ourselves

There is a lot of hoop-la about the dude from the Philadelphia Eagles that got mad at a Black security guy and said he would kick every niggas ass he saw at a Kenny Chesney concert.

I first have to address the pink elephant in the room..how many niggas were even at a Kenny Chesney concert? I mean besides the one that was working there that he was upset with?

Well me personally...I ain't even mad.
Why, you are probably asking?

1. This dude got drunk and the real him came slamming to the surface. So now the world knows what's in his heart.
2. Some of his teammates are going to see how many "nigga" asses he really wants to kick.
3. He is a Wide Receiver in the NFL....Last I checked...the NFL was over 70% Black.

So this dude will be dealt with no matter how many heartfelt apologies he gives on national TV.

So no..I ain't mad.

Stephen A. Smith said this morning on ESPN's First Take, that we as a people have to reevaluate ourselves.
True.
His partner, Skip Bayless, said he would have cut the dude from the team if it were up to him.
That's a little extreme there, Skip.

Would I have cut him? Naaa..

I would have fined him..a big fine..and kept it moving. But..if he gets fined..then every Black person in that locker room should be fined whenever they say the dreaded "n" word too.

That is only fair.

I have admitted on this very blog and in the comment section of some of my favorite fellow bloggers, about my live-long affair with the word nigga.

I say it. Alot. It's wrong..it is a habit I am trying to break. I am a work in progress.

I call bullshit to whomever says that it's different when we say it though.

Sure I have used it..and still use it to describe some of my homies...members of my family..or just some  dude that I don't know.

But I have also used it to describe somebody that I was mad at, didn't like or somebody who I thought was just an asshole.

Does this sound familiar? Can we say Paula Dean..The dude from Seinfeld...Mel Gibson...the Bounty Hunter asshole and every other white dude that thinks he is safe among friends?
So what's the difference between me saying it or some White person saying it?

It is a degrading word..and until we stop degrading ourselves to the world..we as a people need to shut the fuck up.

For us to say that we can do something, but someone else can't...that is that bullshit. Wasn't that the entire premise behind the entire civil rights movement? Our forefathers DIED to give us the right to do, say and go whatever or wherever  the hell we wanted to do, say or go..So does that same right not apply to White folks?

Really? Are we no better than that?

So let White People get it off their chests and yell NIGGER!! from the highest mountain top. We have given them that right by our own actions.

It can't be wrong for them and right for us..

It is just as bad as the city(?) of  Detroit filing for Bankruptcy..but somehow finding $400 MILLION to build a new Hockey Stadium.

Seriously?
Hypocrisy at it's highest level.


5 comments:

Reggie said...

Seriously, I'm sure someone says something like that at every single Kenny Chesney concert. I figured that's the type of shit they generally talk about anyway.

On some level the political correctness has run completely out. We pretend that people don't talk like this on a regular. The 2nd Amendment grants them the right to say whatever foolish things they want....however, when you're a highly paid athlete or a public official that depends of the dollar of all to get paid....it's problematic.

By the way, the only reason that he is getting fined and the only reason that he's going around kissing ass now is because of the potential financial backlash associated with people "knowing" that he's actually a redneck.

Where does this end?!?

Josh said...

In response to the post and the commenter above me, Reggie:

We can't act like we all, as in every race, don't say racially-charged or outright racist and/or insensitive shit. Especially when we're in the company of our own race, high or hammered, and the tribal dynamics kick in.

A group of white folks at a country concert probably don't talk about shit that's much different than a group of black folks at a rap concert when it comes to how another race is viewed. And it's definitely the case that white or black, things like gay slurs are bound to fly out.

That's in general...

I take issue with the way outlets like ESPN have handled this.

Instead of giving an honest take on it and putting speech in its context (um, speech!), guys like Skip Bayless cower in front of Stephen A. and say things like "I'm not qualified," and treat this incident as the rung directly under Aaron Hernandez accused of murdering someone.

Per coverage time, special guests, personal accounts, etc, Cooper using that word in a blatantly racist context has probably drawn more coverage. And certainly more outrage than drunk club fights, drunk driving, and even spousal abuse.

And not because the "word" was said, but because the person saying it was white.

Skip is qualified to speak. He's a human being, capable of thought and speech, and therefore qualified to offer up honesty rather than condescending to his so-called friend by going to great extremes to somehow prove he's not racist and is a "friend" of the African American community.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, race be damned, but I do assume that that type of behavior is a lot more off-putting than someone saying "It's bad, stupid, deserves repercussions, but let's not go overboard."

It's extremely uncomfortable to watch as white guy after white guy patronizes black guy after black guy, ironically creating a "separate but equal" status to speak about this issue.

We're all qualified to speak honestly about it without fearing offending someone. That word, while its history may be one thing, is an incredibly common, frequently uttered word in American culture at large.

Riley Cooper blurted out what I believe to be how he really feels. And now it is what it is. The Skips out there can stop feigning the end times because, surprise, someone said something offensive.

It happens. Often. To pull the phony "Why, I never..." bullshit when it's a white guy saying something racist is just placating, condescending hogwash that actually keeps any type of so-called "conversation" on race from getting anywhere.

A Black Panther Forever said...

This is new waters for us all. having grown up in America I was in the generation that HAD to agree what the white man said and... definitely could not have an independence thought to the contrary. Skip is in the transitional age for the racial dance we do daily in our interactions. Now a lot of whites are non- confrontational when discussing racial issues for fear of having the BIG R placed by their names. I noticed this especially when the different people talking sports. BUT I lived through a time period when all kind of racial epithets.

Do I enjoy seeing white people verbally dance around like my people had to do in the day? No, because I feel that the change had little change in how my race view themselves. The proof in in the battle betwixt ourselves.

Dirty Red said...

Reggie,
I don't think it will ever end.

Josh,
You made some good points man.
That's why I sdon't get upset when White somebody shows thier ass.

Panther,
"Do I enjoy seeing white people verbally dance around like my people had to do in the day? No, because I feel that the change had little change in how my race view themselves. The proof in in the battle betwixt ourselves".

This right here summed up my whole post.

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

The only thing different in America for black folks is now I have a Visa Card